Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Word of Promise; The Gift of Psalms


I just finished the devotional/audio companion titled: The Word of Promise, The Gift of Psalms and I must say that the quality is incredible. However, I have never understood how and why actors who are not Christians (as far as I can tell from their on-screen roles) are included in a product marketed to Christians. Having a celebrity read a devotional that they could care less about with an excerpt of the Bible that they don’t believe in is like Billy Graham reading an audio dramatization of the Quran. We don’t need celebrities to sell the Bible, the Bible sells itself. Also, I have unfortunately heard a few of the celebrities take the Lords name in vain both in movies and TV, so that is kind of hard for me to get past. But if you are looking for an emotional reaction then the quality of orchestration paired with the “world’s finest talent” should do the trick.
But with so many great devotionals and audio Bibles(that include the whole Bible) I can’t understand why anyone would want or need this, unless they always wanted to hear George Costanza read the Bible.